Sagging skin is one of the most common – and difficult to prevent – consequences of aging. But that doesn’t mean you’re trapped with lower facial features and deep lines. The facelift has been a treatment option for some time, but it’s found competition with the newer world of nonsurgical treatments. If you’re unhappy with the elasticity of your skin, but not sure what to do next, we’ve put together a comprehensive guide below. Discover the best skin tightening procedure for your own goals – and what kind of results you can realistically expect.
Why Is My Skin Sagging?
- Aging – We all age, whether we like it or not. As the years pass, the skin loses some of its collagen and elastin. These connective tissues break down, leading your features to drop slightly and the skin to droop. Plus, facial muscles weaken, making it harder to hold everything in its proper place. All these factors combine to result in looser, saggy skin. Of course, the extent of your sagging will depend on genetic factors, as well as some environmental ones detailed below.
- Sun exposure – UV rays damage the skin over time, breaking down collagen and elastin just as general aging does.
- Weight loss – While weight loss can be a very positive thing, losing a significant amount of weight quickly makes it tough for skin to bounce back. If you’ve been considering a fat removal option like CoolSculpting, don’t worry – procedures that lead to gradual fat loss work slowly enough to help prevent sagging skin.*
- Smoking – Cigarette smoke has harsh effects on the skin, which for smokers is frequently exposed to the harmful fumes.
What Do You Want to Gain from Skin Tightening Treatment?
It’s time to consider your underlying goals. Articulating what you want to both yourself and your treatment provider will help you find ideal results. Depending on your priorities, one or a combination of the following could be the right path.
- Home skin care – Just starting to notice sagging? Invest in a powerful moisturizer that contains ingredients like vitamin A, vitamin C, or alpha or beta hydroxy acid. These moisturizers are typically applied before bed so that they can penetrate the skin overnight, firming your features. You should also be careful to stay hydrated and get plenty of antioxidants for a healthy glow.
- Nonsurgical treatments – Nonsurgical tightening treatments don’t create any kind of incision in the skin, and deliver different types of energy to deep layers for overall rejuvenation. There are various types of nonsurgical treatments, which we explain below.
- Surgical treatments – A facelift is always an option, but it’s not actually what many patients need. This treatment choice yields more extreme results, when most of us are just interested in subtle tightening. That said, if you’re looking for a dramatic change, talking to a plastic surgeon could be a good idea.
If you’re struggling to make a decision on your own, schedule a free consultation. There’s no commitment required, and you’ll receive expert advice on what would be best for your skin.
When You Don’t Need a Facelift
Nonsurgical skin tightening can yield gorgeous results. Patients with mildly to moderately loose skin on the face, neck, arms, or abdomen should learn more about their non-invasive options. These treatments are an excellent alternative to surgery, especially for those who can’t afford the price tag or downtime involved with a facelift. Different types of nonsurgical tightening include (brand names included):
- Radio frequency – Thermage, Accent, Pelleve
- Intense pulsed light – Titan, Sciton’s St, VelaShape
- Ultrasound – Ultherapy, VaserShape
Local Skin Tightening Options
The Laser Aesthetic Center offers Titan skin tightening, an infrared light treatment. Titan delivers controlled pulses of light uniformly, improving the face’s tightness and skin tone and texture. This is accomplished through the stimulation of collagen production deep within the skin. Titan is appropriate for the face, abdomen, upper arms, thighs, neck, and more. Particularly happy Titan patients have found remarkable results along the jaw and neck.*
**Update** – We’re excited to announce that we now offer Ultherapy for natural-looking, effective skin tightening and lifting.* If you’d like to learn whether you’re a candidate, simply visit our Ultherapy visualizer and see your own face digitally transformed.
Ready to learn more? Reach out today for a complimentary consultation.
*Disclaimer: Please note that there is no guarantee of specific results. Results may vary.